Hi I’m Yulie I am here to share my experience about K-1 Visa. After my k-1 Visa was approved in manila embassy. Then I was super excited to fly to the U.S. While I am in the plane I am super happy because I cant wait to be with my fiance. I cant wait to meet all of his family and friends.
I am also excited to see the United States of America. As I am always wondering on how different it is the U.S. compared to our own country, the Philippines. By that time I had no idea that the processing on k-1 visa had not ended yet and there were many more steps that needed to be done (adjustment of status for example).
After I arrived in the U.S. I went to fill out some form inside the airport and then I proceed to the immigration. The immigration asked me the question of why I came to the U.S.. They asked me where I am going and to which state.
Then after immigration I proceed to the claiming luggage. I was really upset because the line up is too long to see. By the time I get my luggage it was too long the line. I was really afraid that i might not be able to catch my next flight to my final destination to where my fiance was waiting for me.
After my luggage was checked by the borders (customs at the port of entry, I proceed to check in my luggage once again. Then I ran to my gate because I only had two hours to catch my next flight at the airport. Just doing the steps before you can go to your gate. I really thought I really lost my flight. But I was surprise that my flight was delay two times so that is a very big help to me. Okay guys. after arriving in the United States here are the next steps that you will need to do.
Also be sure to read the related topics about K1 Visa :
The Next Steps After Arriving In The United States for k-1 Visa
- First get State Identification ID before your I-94 expired & before your k-1 visa expired too
- Get SSN# ( Social Security Number ) before your I-94 expired. But you have to use your middle name on it. Because your not married to your fiance yet. but its nice to get one if you can it always depend on your state. Because it can help you in anyway for your processing.
- You need to get married before your k-1 visa expired
- File for AOS ( Adjustment of Status ) before your I-94 expired
- When you file for AOS, include Advance Parole for travel, Employment Authorization Permit. So you wont have to pay for your Advance parole for travel & Employment Authorization permit.
Requirements for Adjustment of Status
- G-325a Applicant and petitioner
- I-163 medical record (In my case from St Lukes, Manila).
- Two colored picture passport size 2×2 for applicant. Write your signature in the back of picture
- Photocopy of the nonimmigrant visa page of your passport
- Your birth certificate, with an English translation if it’s not already in English
- Copy of divorced decree
- I-130 family petition to sponsor relative green card
- Copy of Marriage Certificate
- copy of I-797 approval notice of I-129f
Where to send adjustment of Status
Fill up I-1145 E-Notification of application put in the front of all your documents so you can track your package
Filling fee for Adjustment of Status https://www.uscis.gov/fees
Are you a Filipino OFW Worker? Be sure to check your SSS Contribution Table / Charts
Here is some other tips from Rosemarie: Single post removing conditions on conditional permanent residence